Wednesday, January 2, 2013

CAMBODIAN THEME PARK

Even in Cambodia, you can find a theme park.  In Siem Reap, it's the Cambodian Cultural Village, where I decided to spend my last day there.  I hadn't seen any entertainment, and this place promised a lot.

It was quite an attractive park, with representations of the various types of villages you might find in Cambodia, a couple of theaters, a wax museum, a nice lake, a good restaurant, and generally attractive, well-maintained grounds.  

Various kinds of performances 20 to 30 minutes in length were held in different areas of the park for about 6 hours. 





In the Chinese village area, the performance included balancing and doing a few tricks with these giant, colorfully decorated poles.





















And creating this human tower of about 8 people, I think.























In another area, there was a little fairy tale play about a princess and a peacock prince.













The costumes were really colorful.

























These funny guys were in a playground area of the park.




















One of the performances was an enactment of a traditional Khmer wedding.  There was quite a crowd there and I didn't get there in time to get a good seat.  A very nice security guard gave up his chair for me, but I didn't have a very good view of the stage because of sight obstacles.  I was considering taking a seat on the ground where I would have a better view when one of the performers left the stage and approached me.  I finally understood that he wanted me to come up to the stage to play the mother of the groom.  I couldn't have had a better seat!  That was another theme of the park's performance program--audience involvement.  It was great fun, and I really enjoyed this day of music, dancing, acting, and laughter, and I didn't even break a sweat!

No comments: