Tuesday, December 25, 2012

THE STREET WHERE I LIVE


I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas day.  I had a pretty nontraditional day, which I'll write about later.  I have a lot of catching up to do, now that I figured out what the problem was with transferring pictures from my camera to my computer.  Would you believe it was as simple as cheap batteries?  It occurred to me when the new batteries I put in my camera a couple of days ago ran out of juice the next day.  So I put in more new batteries and "ta da", no problems downloading.

So now I'm backtracking to catch up with with my Bangkok adventure.  Before I do that, I thought you might like to see where I'm living in Bangkok.  It's in a residential neighborhood about a mile from the nearest subway station....not the greatest location for getting around quickly, but I like it.  There are a lot of "street dogs" in Bangkok.  These are the ones that lie around the soi (street) off the main road to my neighborhood.








This is what I feel like doing most of these hot and humid days here!


















My apartment building--another pink palace (like in Sorrento)





















These guys sit around outside my building from early morning until late evening, waiting for someone who needs transportation.  Some drive taxis; others offer exciting motorbike rides.  And no, I haven't, and won't, ride on the motorbikes.  The way they create new lanes between lines of traffic is just too scary.











And this is the lovely Aey (pronounced like the letter a) who helps me with everything.  Her real name is much longer and unpronounceable.  I'm told that most Thais chose their own short nicknames, because their real names are very long. 





I didn't take pictures of my one-bedroom apartment, but it's nice--all wood floors comfortable furniture, but absolutely nothing on the walls and just overhead lights--no lamps.  My favorite thing about this place is the on-site restaurant that provides room service.  The food is good and so cheap that I don't even think about cooking here.




No comments: