Monday, December 17, 2012

THE NEWPORT TRAGEDY


Friends and Family,

My heart is broken over what happened to the innocent little children and the teachers and administrators who tried to protect them at the Sandy Brook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.  I cry every time I see their faces on CNN news, and I am even more disgusted with the resistance against reforming gun control legislation in the U.S.

I’m writing this blog entry to urge you to write to your state’s U.S. senators and representatives and tell them that enough innocent people, especially children, have lost their lives because it's just too easy to purchase guns without a background check.  I’m not naïve enough to believe that reforming our gun control laws will put a halt to these mass killings.  But we have to start somewhere.  We have to try.  I can’t look at the smiling faces of these darling children whose lives had barely started and not feel compelled to do something!

Here is the letter I’ll be sending to Michigan U.S. senators and congresspersons.  Feel free to plagiarize.

Dear (Senator/Representative)

The tragedy that occurred last Friday in Newtown, Connecticut is just one more wake-up call to federal lawmakers in this country that it’s time to stop playing political football with gun control legislation and do something to improve controls over the purchase of guns in this country.  At a minimum, there needs to be a background check done on everyone who wants to purchase a gun.  Personally, I’m in favor of a ban on assault weapons.  I can see no reason why anyone in this country needs such a weapon; and over time, a ban should result in a reduction of these kinds of weapons which have typically been used in the mass killings that have occurred in our country.

How many more innocent children will have to die before our federal lawmakers take responsible action to try to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals and mentally deranged people?  This is an issue that needs bipartisan cooperation; and considering the divided majority of the House and Senate, no positive change can occur without a collaborative effort.  The time has come for a improving gun control legislation, and it is my fervent hope that productive discussions will not deteriorate into another standoff between Republicans and Democrats.  I think most Americans are pretty tired of politics getting in the way of moving forward to find solid solutions to important issues like this. 

I am asking you, as my legislative representative to promote gun control as a legislative priority and to support legislation that results in (1) a requirement for background checks on all gun purchases and (2) a ban on assault weapons. 

Respectfully,

No comments: