Tuesday, March 26, 2013

SURPRISE!

I thought I had done my last blog from Thailand, but my friend Dolly created an experience that I must share while I'm still tingling with the joy of it.  Dolly graciously hosted me in her beautiful 32nd floor condo last night.  She invited Anna, who I had met during my first month in Bangkok, to join us for dinner.  







When I arrived, I saw the dining room table beautifully set for 6 people.  










I asked Dolly if Ae, her husband's live-in support person, and Ploy, her housekeeper, would be joining us for dinner.  She said yes, which surprised me, because on my last visit here, she told me that Ae would never eat with her and Donald, her husband.  But I thought, great, it's so nice that they will be at the table with us, since they were doing all the work in preparing the dinner.

The doorbell rang at about 7 p.m., and Dolly asked me to answer it because she and Ae were helping Donald get ready.  I, of course, expected to see Anna, but when I opened the door, there were Connie, my friend from ChiangMai and her husband, Nat.  I wish I had a picture of my face when I saw them.  I was shocked and speechless, then turned to absolute mush when I thought about what a wonderful and generous gesture it was for Dolly to invite them and how touched I was that they had traveled all the way from ChiangMai to have dinner with me on my last night in Thailand.  







We enjoyed a delicious Thai feast, prepared and served by these two lovely ladies, Ae and Ploy.









It was an unforgettable evening with these lovely people I have been so fortunate to meet here--complete with storytelling, some really bad jokes, and a lot of laughter.









Dolly and her husband Donald.




















Anna with Connie with her husband Nat.















The gregarious group.











I missed a a couple of great photo ops--should have had Ae take a picture of the whole group, including me, and one of Dolly, Connie and I.  I have a feeling the three of us will share some adventure together in the future.  I feel so grateful to have met these two fabulous women who joined me briefly in my travels, and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting their spouses and friends.  I wish I could take both of them to Italy with me!

No comments: