Saturday, May 3, 2014

BARDOLINO IN BARDOLINO

There's nothing to compare with going directly to the source.  I'm at this moment sitting in a pizzeria in the town of Bardolino, sipping on a glass of Bardolino while I wait for my 4 Stagioni pizza.   This is the most popular pizza in Italy and its toppings represent the four seasons--artichokes for spring, olives for summer, mushrooms for fall, and prosciutto for winter.

And I didn't have to wait long.  Excuse me while I make a dent in this.


NO....I didn't eat the whole thing, but I did finish my glass of Bardilino, which was wonderful and cost only 2.5€, or about $3.50.  You can buy a bottle for as little as 4€, which is about $5.50.  Considering the price of a bottle in the U.S., I wish I could carry a few bottles back in my suitcase.

I like Bardolino as much as I liked Lazise.  Lake Garda is really beautiful and all these small towns on its shores are charming.  Look at these views I have at this very moment.




It's a dark day with off and on rain and occasional bursts of sunshine through the clouds.  I took a bus first to the town of Garda, which is about half the size of Bardolino.

 

Then I hopped another bus to Bardolina.  There are lots of shops and restaurants in Bardolina, enough to keep you busy for an afternoon.  


And you see a number of older stone houses as you wander through the town.


The local church had a beautiful fresco above the altar.


It didn't start raining seriously until I got off the bus at the stop closest to where I'm staying.  So my feet got a bit wet, but I'm happy that I decided to venture out in spite of the dismal weather forecast.  Because how many people can say they drank Bardolino in Bardolino?  Okay, a few hundred thousand, or maybe millions, but I'm one of 'em!

No comments: