Monday, April 14, 2014

ISLAND HOP TO NAXOS

Naxos is the largest island in the Cyclades group and its port city, where I stayed, has a population of about 7,000.  Again, there were very few tourists and I would only occasionally pass by anyone else as I wandered the streets of the Old Town of Chora.



As always, street cats abound.  I crossed the path of this one.


There's an old Venetian castle perched above the town that was built over the remains of the ancient acropolis.


There were wild flowers growing here and there around the old buildings.




Back in the day, Naxos was the center of Cycladic culture, and I went through a small archeological museum near the castle that had artifacts dating back to the 13th century B.C.  Out on a balcony, there was an old mosaic and an odd assortment of pieces just lying about.


This has to be one of the oldest houses still standing.


The views from the heights of Old Town were stunning.  That's the ruins of Apollo's Temple on the peninsula, its entrance the only part standing.


Here's a closer view.


This is a view of the port town of Syros taken from Apollo's Temple.


And this is the view toward the hills away from the sea.


And another interesting perspective on the walk back to sea level.


Except for the trash can, it's a lovely courtyard outside a small church.


Back at sea level, wandering the streets lined with shops, I saw this curiosity.  Yes, those are hats.


There's plenty of time for a leisurely walk along the seaside, where the water is crystal clear.


I really enjoyed my stop at Naxos.  I could get used to life on a Greek isle if it were always this peaceful!

No comments: