Monday, December 30, 2013

OFF THE TOURIST TRACK

I've been hanging around ChiangMai, Thailand with my friend Connie since December 20.  She's on Christmas break from her job as a counselor at an international school.  I'm over the bronchitis that came here with me and have been enjoying life as Connie's shadow.  We went to a Christmas party where I met some of her friends.  We enjoyed some all-American food at her husband's favorite "farang" restaurant on Christmas Day and ate a delicious seven course holiday feast at another of their favorite eateries the next night.  We've made popcorn and watched movies, drank wine, gone shopping for elephant pants and a few Christmas gifts for others and ourselves, and eaten most of our meals at little restaurants in Connie's neighborhood.  One day we had ice cream at this very popular place where this weird pink dog stood guard over the premises.

P

On this New Year's Eve, I cooked dinner for Connie and Nat, we watched a movie, and then at 11:15 p.m. we went up to the roof of her building (11 floors) to greet the New Year.  There we enjoyed the most spectacular 360° display of fireworks I've ever seen.  In every direction there were colorful displays, and down by the river there were hundreds of floating lanterns being released into the sky.  This is a Thai tradition that symbolizes a letting go of the bad things in your life and wishing for good things to come.  It was a beautiful sight.

I delighted in doing these ordinary things with a friend and getting to know her even better.  I'm not visiting any UNESCO Heritage Sites or any temples or palaces on my second viisit to ChiangMai. I've forgotten to take my camera most of the time we've gone out, so there are very few pfotos to illustrate this segment of my journey.  Connie and I are simply creating some good friend memories.

TO MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY.....

MAY THE COMING YEAR BLESS YOU WITH PEACE, LOVE, AND GOOD FORTUNE

No comments: