Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A TASTE OF PRAGUE

I had planned to go to Amsterdam and Copenhagen, so how did I end up in Prague and Budapest?  Let's just call it a woman's perogative.

I thought it would be interesting to see life in a couple of the Eastern European countries.  I had heard from several fellow travelers that Prague is a beautiful city, so here I am.  It would be hard for any city to follow Paris, and it took me a few hours to realign my expectations.  But Prague is a beautiful city, just in a different way than Paris.  It has what I would call old world charm.  The Vitava River runs through it.


There's something about a river view that makes everything look more beautiful.  Prague is said to be a city of spires, and you can see from this photograph and others that it lives up to this reputation.


This is the famous Charles Bridge, which is lined with 30 baroque statues of religious figures.


It's also lined with people selling jewelry, art (including on the spot personal portraits), and a whole a lot of tourists.


This is one of the religious figures.


It's a great spot for taking photographs of the city and capturing more of those spires.


I visited the old Jewish cemetery, where the gravestones are packed this tightly together because the tombs are 12 layers deep!


I've never seen anything like this.


The Jewish quarter in the surrounding neighborhood is quite beautiful.


This is one of the large public squares where you can rent a traditional horse and carriage to tour the city.  I used my own hooves.


Some of the houses on this Square were quite artfully decorated.


This is St. Vitus Cathedral at Prague Castle, which is the seat of the Archbishop of Prague. The coronation of Czechoslovakia's kings and queens took place here.



There were many beautiful stained glass windows.


There were also several beautiful side altars.


Across from the cathedral is St. George's Basilica.



I also toured the castle, but there's not really much to see there. It certainly isn't Versailles. This is the Kings throne room, one of the few rooms in the castle open to the public.  
.

The castle sits on a hill overlooking the city.


Prague has its own little miniature Eiffel Tower perched on a hill across from the castle..


When I was leaving the castle complex, a changing of the guards was in progress.


As I was walking down the hill, trying to find my way back to the tram stop, I heard a clomping from behind me. I turned around to see this group of uniformed musicians coming around the bend. I have no idea who they were or where they were going, but it made a nice photograph.


I had only two days in Prague, and I think two or three days is enough for a city of this size.  I will now do my Prague swan song.


No comments: